An EF-3 tornado hit the northeast shore of Lake Burton and damaged or destroyed over 100 homes. Our home didn't suffer any damage. We went up to the lake to check on our cabin the day after the storm hit. I would have never believed the damage if I had not witnessed it myself. It broke my heart. The tornado rode all the way up the side of the mountains. It destroyed a 14 mile stretch of the lake leading toward Anchorage Marina. Million dollar homes were scattered all over the lake. Boat houses were picked out and thrown three houses down the lake. Jet ski's were thrown into trees. One home was completely in the lake. Boat houses were literally turned upside down in the water. Some of the homes burned before fire crews could get to them. One home was split in half by the tornado. The man inside was killed. The news did a TERRIBLE job of covering the damage that struck Lake Burton before and after the hit. We saw that a tornado had been spotted 8 miles northeast of Batesville, Georgia scroll across the bottom of channel 5 and channel 2's news screen around 11:00pm. We immediately called our family that lives on the lake all year long. They said the wind was terrible and they had just lost power. They immediately took cover. After the storm passed we didn't hear from them. We had no idea if a tornado hit or not until the next morning because the news NEVER mentioned a word about a tornado touching down on Lake Burton or showed much coverage of Northeast Georgia. I am thankful so few people were injured. I am also surprised.
Here are a couple pictures from the storm that I took. The video is not mine. I found the video on youtube.
0 comments:
Post a Comment