My uncle died eight years ago. Prior to his death, we always had lunch at my grandmother's house on Christmas Day. It was such a happy and fun day, full of laughter, love, jokes, and great food. Since then, our family traditions have changed. My grandmother and papa now attend the Dalton Christmas lunch. We haven't opened presents at my grandmother's house in years. This year, we began to bring some of the old Martin traditions back to life. We didn't have our traditional lunch, but we did open gifts together. That is a start! :) I believe Austin played a big part in this change.
Austin fills my grandparent's house with happiness. In some way, I believe he reminds them of Bruce. Austin story and Bruce's story share many similarities. Bruce was adopted. My grandparents fought for him for several years. They struggled with having to give him back and forth to his real mom and foster parents who would want him one week but not the next. It was an emotional and physically draining battle. Eventually, Bruce's mother gave up all her parental rights and my grandparents adopted Bruce. All their hardship was not fought in vain. Their love and patience prevailed in the end.
Since Austin was sick on Christmas, these big smiles were few and far between. His sickness disappeared momentarily when he received Uncle Blake and Aunt Lala's four wheeler. He couldn't quit laughing and smiling as he rode it around my grandmother's living room. Alex and I were so happy to see a smile on his face. It made our Christmas!
Austin is my Papa's world. As you can see from this picture, he keeps Papa well entertained. My Papa had surgery for carpal tunnel the week of Christmas. He had a cast on his hand that extended up to his elbow. Even though he wasn't able, he ventured out and bought Austin multiple Christmas toys. He bought him a fire truck, cars, and remote control trucks. He was so proud of his gifts to Austin. And Austin couldn't have been happier with each one of the thoughtful presents. Here they are opening the packages together.
My grandmother looks so happy in this picture.
Grandmother and Papa gave Austin a balancing bike for Christmas. It is supposed to prepare him for the real thing.
You're never too young to start developing style. I guess that's why Blake and my mom thought Austin needed some colorful Vineyard Vines shirts for his wardrobe. I love it! :)
Aunt LaLa and Uncle Blake gave Austin fire truck and doggie pj's. He was yawning as he opened them. Perfect!
I what Austin is thinking at this very moment.
"Please quit holding those comfy looking things up and put them on me. Hello, I'm yawning. What more do I have to do? This is my fourth Christmas celebration of the day, Uncle Blake. I'm pooped." says Austin. haha! :)
Grandmother and Austin opening presents together.
Each time Austin received a present he would run it over to someone and say, "OUT." He wanted us to open each one as quickly as possible.
Opening Uncle Blake and Aunt LaLa's big present
What an awesome gift! I have never seen one of these. They are perfect for a 20 month old child because they are just the right size. I love it because it's not battery powered.
As soon as we got his four wheeler out of the box, Austin jumped on and zoomed off. He headed straight for my Papa's handicap ramp, spun around, and looked for Blake. He pointed at him and said, "Push?" They went back and forth, up and down the ramp, until it was time for us to head to our next Christmas celebration at Alex's dad's house.
0 comments:
Post a Comment